Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thirst

"Brothers, sisters, I do not consider myself to have arrived, to have grasped it fully; but there is one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Letter to the Philippians, chapter 3 verse 13 and 14
Paul was ruled by thirst. It was a humble, generative thirst that said, "I have not arrived...but I am moving in that direction." We all agree that it is a process, a journey. Paul leads the way in his letter. He says in the verses that follow that those who are mature think this way, and are thirsting in this way. Does our reach exceed our grasp in this matter of "pressing forward?" Are we ruled by thirst?
What daily practices are currently in your life that stem from a desire to grow in Christ? (Bible study, prayer,fasting, worship, meditation, serving etc.) Do you have any goals you would like to set this new year in "pressing toward" the goal Paul shared in Philippians?

2 comments:

  1. well currently I am trying to work harder on my praying. I have realized that prayer is something that i do out of habit not out of desire. I also of late have been trying to dedicate time through out my day to at least read some of my Bible even if it's just a verse or two. As to the direction I would like my journey to head I think that I have been brought to the current place I am so that I can begin to work on the blind faith and trust part of my relationship with God...Side note hear if I told you that my court date for my divorce which I didn't file for was the morning of the 13th would anyone else see the irony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching the Starving Jesus documentary a few weeks ago [the book is a must read as well] and they talk a lot about fasting, I definitely feel challenged to start a fast & also feel a sense of urgency to starting reaching out [volunteering in homeless shelters etc] to the poor and marginalized, specifically in Woonsocket.

    Worship is a lifestyle, not a moment. Again, we often separate the 'spiritual' & 'secular' moments in our lives. It's all about doing everything to the glory of God.

    & lastly, I have been in the Gospels lately, right now, I just want to keep reading & re-reading them, I really want to understand & know my Rabbi.

    ReplyDelete